Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Ride Day 3&4

The next day we got up and headed out of Santa Cruz. Went up Empire Grade that eventually catches hwy 9 before getting onto skyline or hwy 35. We passed right through Big Basin Redwoods State Park that was just jaw dropping. I'm kicking myself for not stopping to take more pictures. The minute we rode into those trees I slowed down, I started breathing deep. There is just something about being next to a living thing that's been around for over 2000 years. This picture does not capture it but it's the only one I have from the park.

The rolling hills were equally as breath taking.
We met up with Jacob's friend Ben on his Ducati Hypermotard, always fun to add to the party.
We were all enamored with this decaying big rig for some reason.

This photo really sums it up for me. Great day, lots of amazing turns, amazing country, sunset, it does not get much better.

On Monday Jacob and I woke up early and followed Hwy 1 down through Big Sur. Again, words can't really describe this beauty and magnitude.
After a latte and some really expensive scones we parted ways, and I continued on down the coast. There is a streatch of road just south of Big Sur that is just phenomenal. Probably some of the best turns i did all weekend. The hours rolled on and once again the road wore me down. By the time I got to San Luis Obispo I was pretty "bonked" ( see definition from previous post). The stretch of the 101 south of Ventura is just horrible. I was bouncing down the road getting beat up by the wind and then the traffic came. I was so close I sped and split lanes the entire way home. I honestly didn't think my bike could handle it, but it turns out I don't think I can handle that kind of road time. Total millage: 1336
At least for now...

No comments: